NorthWestSPL

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NorthWestSPL
NorthWestSPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sundown troubleshooting

5 posters

Go down

sundown troubleshooting Empty sundown troubleshooting

Post by crazee.lipz Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 am

Hey guys,so I got a sa 12 dual 4 hooked up to a jl 1000/1.It played fine the first day now its cutting in and out almost making a distorted sound gain at lil under half,is there a way to test the coils maybe at the terminals to determine if I blew it or not? Thank u in advance for help.

crazee.lipz

Back to top Go down

sundown troubleshooting Empty Re: sundown troubleshooting

Post by MR.Phantom Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm

how is it wired? the jl is not stable below 1.5 ohm and half gain means nothing you need to set your gains correctly with a test and dmm or dd1
MR.Phantom
MR.Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by crazee.lipz Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 pm

I understand, well according to a wiring diagram I found on how to hook up subwoofers I was wired at 2 ohms due to I had dual 4 ohm coils.but wen I hooked it up it was fine, I did not use a dmm or dd1 to tune I just read the how to tune by ear articles "which is highly not recommended but I did anyway because I do not have the proper tools." Next day I go out and throw on some new decaf music and its starts going in and out on me while driving,
so my buddy hooked one set and it worked great, he then hooked up the other set and nothing happened then he told me that I had blew a voice coil, and if you want to get it repaired I would need a recone kit, does this sound right? or is he blowing smoke?

crazee.lipz

Back to top Go down

Post by scionwithbass Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 am

Dual 4 will wire you to 4 ohms, 16 ohms or 1 ohm. You went to 1 ohm wich your amp cant handle, and your probly clipping the amp hard on the lows, so its protecting or on the edge of blowing. What kind of electrical do you have. If your running a 1000 watt amp one 1 ohm with stock electrical and no tuning something will fry. GO TO AUTOZONE and buy a $15 Dmm. If your into car audio and dont have a digital multi meter then you fail. You need to check your ohms, and check your voltage drop with it. I dont let my friends drop below 11.5 I don't drop below 12.2.
scionwithbass
scionwithbass

http://cameronsautodetail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jr2011bu Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Your buddy might be right about the recone, try and see if you can get a hold of a DMM and measure the VC impedance. That will tell you wether or not you have a blown coil.

Now as far as the wiring your correct if you have a single SA12 which is what i picked up from your first post. So check with a DMM and see what the coils read then if needed order the recone.
jr2011bu
jr2011bu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sightandsound Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

scionwithbass wrote:Dual 4 will wire you to 4 ohms, 16 ohms or 1 ohm. You went to 1 ohm wich your amp cant handle, and your probly clipping the amp hard on the lows, so its protecting or on the edge of blowing. What kind of electrical do you have. If your running a 1000 watt amp one 1 ohm with stock electrical and no tuning something will fry. GO TO AUTOZONE and buy a $15 Dmm. If your into car audio and dont have a digital multi meter then you fail. You need to check your ohms, and check your voltage drop with it. I dont let my friends drop below 11.5 I don't drop below 12.2.

I believe he said only 1 12" D4 woofer, which would be 2ohms wired parallel, and 8ohms series. So that JL 1000/1 should handle that woofer wired parallel! Scionwithbass is correct on the stock electrical upgrade though, be sure you're voltage at the amp isn't dropping to low. Those JL amps are VERY picky with voltage! and they are only 1000w @ 14.4. If your battery is dropping into 12's I'd suggest a big 3 upgrade, power cell, and possibly a battery to amp wire upgrade... and alternator upgrade if its in a import!
Sightandsound
Sightandsound

http://ssaudioconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down