NorthWestSPL

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NorthWestSPL
NorthWestSPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Empty Justin's 2000 Silverado Build

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello. I have a 2000 Silverado that I'm building up. You can read about the entire build here:

Project "Charlie Murphy"

And here:

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy" - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

The performance trucks link will always be the most current. I haven't updated the blog in quite a while. It still shows the Procharger on there and I've decided to go turbo instead. Also, the stereo plan is majorly outdated.

Anyway, back in the 90's I was sorta into car audio. I never really could afford all the stuff I really wanted. Over the years, I've managed to collect parts here and there. I have a collection of parts that I personally love.

I don't have thousands of dollars into this stuff and I don't have thousands of dollars to put into my stereo.

If you looked at the blog, you'll see my first plan for my truck. Well rather than buy a bunch of new stuff, I decided to use what I already have.*

Almost all of my music is digital these days so I was planning on going with the Alpine 305S. Instead, I'm going to take that money and buy a JBL MS-8. I can get a factory refurbished one for 399.00 shipped and it has a warranty.

I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's the equipment I have:

Clarion DRX9255
(2) A/D/S PQ10's
(1) Rockford Fosgate 500bd
12" IDMAX V3 D4
Boston Acoustics 6.43

I've biamped the Boston's before. They consist of a 1" tweeter, 4" midrange and a 6 1/2" midbass.

This time around I am going fully active.

Today I took out my old subwoofer box. It didn't fit quite right since I swapped the leather seats and console in. Plus I need to figure out how I'm going to fit the IDMAX.

Here is box 1.0. I was messing around with fiberglass and contouring the box around the seats.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 9439b386

Here's the beginnings of subwoofer box 2.0.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build F2d8a1e6

The underside where the IDMAX will mount. I gave it 2 1/2 inches of clearance.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 0b9853c1

Space is so limited. I'm mocking everything up to make sure it fits.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 389c95fd

I recessed the box into the center console as close as I could.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 9c7f7d24

It'll fit! Of course it's going to be mounted underneath.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 5dd2b6c2

I've previously sounded deadened the cab. Although, I need to order some more and do the roof and doors better.
iregret
iregret

http://www.silveradocharlie.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Empty Re: Justin's 2000 Silverado Build

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Here's some random photos.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 6c733473

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build E619da8b

Here's the first box.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 632

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 634

Here's the truck the day I got it.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build B00a49ab

Here's how it sits now.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 7b27a966

I just finished installing:

Lowering spindles
Lowering shackles
Front and rear sway bars
Upgraded brakes front and rear
Hydroboost and master cylinder
Braided brake lines
Shocks
Swapped in leather/heated seats
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Little more progress today.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 6f699e44

Sorry, I'm not much of a carpenter and all these angles suck. Especially cutting everything with a circular saw.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 910d822a
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm

I've built this entire box with a hand drill, a circular saw, a measuring tape, and a square. I drilled pilot holes for the screws. Nothing's glued yet. I wanted to make sure it'll fit.

Here it is fitted into the center console.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build F5070bf8

I still need to square off the top parts, but here's how it'll sit above the console. It'll be nice to have a flat area to set my backpack on.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 319aab6b
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 pm

I go a bit more done today.

The first thing I had to do was measure behind the seats do I can see exactly how much room I have. Well I got to looking at it and realized I made the side pieces surrounding the subwoofer to short! So I had to remake the 2 side parts. It was frustrating, but I think they actually turned out a bit better than the first ones.

I actually made them a bit to long on purpose. So I can trim them when I put the side pieces on.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 549a51e1

Here's what I've got so far.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 455659d3

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 5561f81a

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 7a1629bd

On the bottom I'll make a rectangular piece and then enclose the box. Also, I'll trim that top part to the same size as the side pieces.

Everything is just loosely screwed together. All these angles are much more of a pain then I thought they would be. I kinda wish I knew how to use cad.

I did some measurements. It looks like I'll have approximately 1.33 cubic feet of air space.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:28 pm

You know, if I'd just stop changing the design of this box, I'd be done already!

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 813eb2f6

I've got all the pieces cut and just need to start gluing it together.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 1b52f8d9

I decided to make the enclosure as large as I could. I'll have to remeasure, but I'd guess there's somewhere around 2.0^ now. In doing that, I'm going to have to do something I usually tell people never to do. I'm going to mount my amps to my box.

I plan on reinforcing where the amps will mount. I'll also put a layer of ensolite between the amp and the box. I may even throw a layer of deadener in their as well.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Anywho, we got the table saw repaired, but it's a little bit too late. *LOL. I've already made all my cuts. I did decide to make some minor changes. I cut 3/4 of an inch off of each end and put caps on instead of cutting a small piece to fit in. My cuts aren't quite square, so it will be easier this way.

So anyway, here's the box during pre-assembly. I pre-drilled all the holes for the screws.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build De63faad

Check it out. It totally fits!

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build F459f504

It fits right around the center console.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Bd4b7c9c

Here's the carpet I picked up. It's felt from Walmart. I got 3 yards of the stuff for 12 bucks. I think it'll match pretty well.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 6ecaf315

Here's how I'm going to end up mounting the amplifiers. I have a few pieces to cut. I'm going to reinforce the inside where the amps mount. I'm also going to play around with raammat and ensolite.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 0f376d54

It's a pretty bad pic, but you can kinda see how this color will tie into the grey.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build D574fc60
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Well I've had the box cut into shape for a bit, but today I actually had time to glue it together.

Now, the box isn't perfectly square. I made all of these pieces with a circular saw remember. So I decided to try a product that I've never used. Gorilla Glue.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build C2cbca52

This is an expanding glue. I've never used it before but basically you wet down to two surfaces you're gluing together, apply the glue, and clamp down.

I didn't realize how much this glue would actually expand. It's a good thing I'm not making professional furniture or something. If you do decide to use a glue like this, you might want to keep a damp rag handy or something.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build A3295d9e

The entire box, except the end caps, glued together.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 22c71a9d

Check out how much this glue expanded!

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 7cd668e2

I didn't glue the end caps on because I wanted to be able to reach the inside of the box so I could run a bead of silicone along all of the joints. With the way this glue looks, I'm wondering if that's even necessary.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry, I started taking apart my door. I had previously installed amplifier on my inner and outer door panels.

I wanted to try something different this time so I ordered some peel and stick ensolite foam and raammat.

It turns out, the last time I deadened it, I did a reasonable job. So I didn't have to add much in the way of deadener. What I did add was a patch of ensolite foam behind the mid bass driver. I also used some raammat bxt to seal up all of the unnecessary holes.

This is as far as I got.

[Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 20042bae

I think this door panel is done. I'm not sure if I ordered enough ensolite though.

My subwoofer box runs the entire span of the back of my truck. How beneficial would it be to install ensolite on the sheet metal behind the box?
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I've never used this expanding foam glue before. I'm sure I used too much but it seems to have filled all the cracks nicely.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build F8126efa

I usually go over all the joints with silicone. That foam seems to have filled everything so well that I don't think it'll be necessary. I had already bought the silicone so I just went through the box and applied some here and there. I still don't think I had to, but what the heck.

I had to file away at a few parts so the subwoofer would clear.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build C875645d

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build De15dee4

I always measure twice, cut once, but geez this is close.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 15775e51

Here's a shot from the inside where you can see that the subwoofer has plenty of clearance and how well that foaming glue sealed up the joints.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build E4d1598e

After that I glued on the end caps and went back to working on the truck.

With that expanding glue I got to thinking about the back panel. There's this gap above where the box is going, under the rear window. I had previously deadened it but there was no way to get to the outer skin. So I bought some expanding foam. The stuff I used said it was for gaps 1 inch or less. I filled the gap as best I could until I ran out. Hope it helps!

This was actually right after I sprayed it. It expanded and filled that gap even more.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 852fbe13

Next I moved on to deadening the drivers door. I basically did the same thing to the drivers side as the passengers. I closed up all the holes and applied a layer of ensolite foam. I didn't get a picture of it.

I ran out of time. I'll get the foam applied to the rear part, behind the subwoofer and get the subwoofer installed and the box covered. Then I'll be done with most of the hard stuff!

Oh, I wanted to ask, what do you guys recommend using to seal the sub to the box?
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I got to work on the truck a little bit today. Only for an hour or so.

I added another layer of matting to the low spots on the rear panel. Then I got to thinking.

I have seen where other guys filled the low spots with mdf and then attached the sub box to the mdf. I didn't really want to drill into the back of my cab. I had bought a sheet of foam with the idea of experimenting with filling the cab vents.

As I was looking at the foam I thought. What if I used this foam to fill the low spots? The subwoofer box would butt up against the foam. It would kind of be a cushion.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 9b1c8053

So that what I did. I used the peel and stick ensolite foam to hold it in place.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 2b37cfa0

I'm finally done with the rear wall.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 476e8672

I've never used this peel and stick ensolite foam before. I haven't got to experience driving with the foam installed, but do far it seems to really make a difference. I'm actually going to order a few more yards of the stuff.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Back at it again. I ordered some peel and stick ensolite from raamaudio on the 16th and it hasn't shown up yet. I was hoping it would be here so I could install it on my roof.

Anyway, here's what I started with.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 07e7912f

See that separate support piece in the center there? That wiggled and vibrated like crazy! I put deadener on the roof skin behind it where I could. After that, I filled the gap with spray foam. What's funny is there's some flexible foam in between the panels from the factory.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 7fcde4f9

I'm going to end up covering all the holes with raamat. That top piece is solid now. After that, I'll add a layer of ensolite.

I really hope all this effort is going to be worth it. I've never done this extensive of a job before.

While the spray foam was setting up I decided to carpet my subwoofer enclosure.

I didn't know the best way to go about carpeting this box, so I kinda winged it.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 1c5a57e1

I sprayed adhesive on the felt and the box. I basically did it in a crisscross pattern. One layer one direction, another layer the opposite direction.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 3b664022

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build F67191dd

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 1fb8a156

Well, this is what I ended up with. I'm not to happy with it, but this is what you get at 1:00 am. It's not my best work, but most of the box will be hidden anyway.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 02edbd5b

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 4fd7d199

The back looks pretty good. Too bad no one will ever see it. LOL.

I put a couple of pieces of ensolite in the box behind the subwoofer.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Bcba4bd8

Ensolite on the bottom of the box. I'm going to use it as a seal for the IDMAX.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 4cff50da
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm

I finished the deadening on the roof.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 122c493d

I put up the rest of my ensolite foam. I ordered more but there was a glitch and it was never shipped.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 843dd6ab

The cabin vents are in just about the worst location. They're at the bottom of the cab, behind the seats. The interior panels basically route the vents to ear level. I decided to try something. I cut some foam put it in the vent.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 2439971d

I put some BXT II deadener on the top part of the vent to help protect the foam from water. Hopefully it will help block some road noise. There's actually a space between the deadener and the foam. It's not blocking it off.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 982d7b62

Not that you would ever see them, but I decided to paint the silver black. I had a can of black hammerite paint left over from a previous project.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Bba6cd72

Headliner back on.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 3b8488f2

I started to put the interior back together. I need to trim that plastic part above the box. That's why it's just sitting there.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build A4cb29a5
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

I need to figure out how to fit 2 (maybe 3) drivers into my door panel. Here's what I have to work with.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build E5d65f0c

I'm pretty fortunate to have this much room really. I was originally going to build kick panels and mount the drivers there. I actually started the fiberglass work and everything. I decided against it because I put in a center console and I think that will really block a lot of sound.

Right now I'm debating in if I should mount the tweeters in the doors or on the sail panels behind the mirrors? What do you guys think? I'll be using an MS-8 as well.

So I cut out where I wanted to mount the drivers.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Dff74cdc

Then traced that onto some spare 3/4" mdf.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Beec5f97

After I cut it out with a jigsaw, it almost fit. I ended up shaping it with a belt sander for final fitment.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 23e6813f

So my idea was to use a 3" PVC cap for my midrange. It's too deep to clear the door panel and grill, so I cut it. (I found out later that its about 3mm too tall so I'm going to go buy a black end cap. They have a flat bottom instead of rounded so it should clear.)

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 18e55dc0

Here it is trimmed up and fit into the door panel. The hole is cut for the 3" PVC cap.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 310c4f88

Now you're getting the idea.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 47eda371

Today I'm heading to Home Depot and picking up the black end caps. Hopefully by tonight I can have it all built and installed. Then I'll be done with door panels!
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52 pm

So here's roughly how it will look.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 0dad4626

Nice and hidden behind that huge factory grill. Even with the black caps that have flat bottoms, there's barely enough room to clear, but it does clear.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 66fca04f

After that I ran the wiring for all three speakers. It was quite the pain to get that 14 gauge wire through the factory rubber loom between the door and the body. I wanted them in there though for as stealth an install as possible.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build C937bc4a

I went ahead and carpeted it since I had some scraps from the subwoofer enclosure. That way you won't notice them in the door. I siliconed in the black end cap, but prior to that I drilled a hole in it for the wire to go through.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 16bfda86

I started on the drivers side. All I got done though was cutting the door panel, making the driver's mount and carpeting it. Hopefully I have enough speaker wire to reach the amplifiers from the drivers door.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Got a little bit more work done.

I had previously ran out of the Ensolite foam. I ordered some more from raammat and it finally showed up.

So I took the interior back out and finished up the floors.

Here's before. Look at that old Second Skin Damplifier. Before they switched to black!

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Ddf47b18

The rear half done.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 81c6df7b

The front half done.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 727c08d8

This would be the time where you would normally add mass loaded vinyl. Well, I couldn't find a supplier locally, and I don't feel like waiting or tearing the interior apart again.

What's weird, is my factory carpet really feels like mass loaded vinyl. I know it doesn't have the same mass, but it's strikingly similar! Basically, I'm calling this good enough.

I have a tiny bit left to do on the headliner and then deadening is done once and for all.

After that I'm going to finish the driver's side door panel install and wiring and then it's stereo gear install time!
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I finished up the installation of the closed cell foam on the roof. The deadening process is now 100% done!

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Eda49770

I wired up and installed my IDMAX. It's a V3 D4, so I wired it for a 2 ohm load.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 4da544d1

I drilled a hole and siliconed in the speaker wire. I don't like speaker terminals.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 7fce6792
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm to the more boring part of the install now. I finished up a few things and started wiring.

The first thing I did was install my fancy-pants Die Hard Platinum battery.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build B87f6de5

The Die Hard Platinum is a rebranded Odyssey. Sears had a 10% off 4th of July sale, so I bought one.

After that, I ran the main power wire that goes to the distribution block for the amplifiers. That's a 200 amp circuit breaker.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 8295a394

I used a piece of mdf to mount my distribution blocks down to. I'll post up a picture after everything is mounted down, and the wires are ran.

I started experimenting with mounting the tweeters. I bought my Boston Acoustics used and the tweeters didn't come with surface or flush mounts, only angle.

I started searching for information and what I gathered is these tweeters are designed to be mounted on axis. So I temporarily mounted what I had to my sail panels.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 069d7672

One other thing I found out was I have Boston Acoustics 6.43s, not 6.53s like I thought. From what I can tell, the main difference is the tweeter. The 6.43 has a titanium tweeter and the 6.53 has an aluminum tweeter.

Having previously ran the 6.53, and loving them, I'm wondering what I'll think of these.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:09 am

Nice work on the build log man. Love the details and pictures. Hope I get a chance to hear this.
RRR37
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 am

Hey thanks! I'm kind of interested to see how it sounds too. We are talking about gear that's over 16 years old here. The amplifiers are from the late 80's! LOL

I hope it sounds good.

So the silicone did a better job of holding the tweeter mounts in than I thought it would. It really feels solid. I was only putting these here temporarily. I think I may just keep them siliconed in. I'll probably paint them though.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 3feccd2f

In case you were wondering why I put them on this way.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 9237bb7a

The tweeters have to be located there and I happened to have silicone on hand.

I started messing around with the 4" driver. I haven't put a lot of thought into how I was going to mount it down exactly. I thought maybe I could use butyl rubber or even silicone them in. Then it occurred to me that I could mount them down as if they were flush. Duh! So I got the grinder out and clearanced the end cap a little.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 31ef92b1

Next, I soldered the wire on.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 3a486b30

Then I mounted everything down. It may not be very pretty but it'll work. I actually used foam to seal the speaker to the cup.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 99ce4c74

Soldered the wire to 6" driver.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 5e72c4de

Put everything back together.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 4da5a8b9

It looks like nothing's there! Woohoo! You can't see the tweeters when the doors are closed so they're pretty hidden. Plus I'm going to experiment with painting them pewter to match.

After that, I did it all over again on the passenger's side. I don't think I'll have any free time to work in the truck for about 4 days, but I'll try.

I'm wanting to finish running the power wires and start fabbing up where I'm going to mount the amplifiers.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:24 am

Well I got my fancy-pants terminals on. LOL. I hooked up the positive side. It has a 10 gauge wire that powers a distribution block and the 2 gauge wire to 200 amp circuit breaker for the amplifiers. I also ran another 4 gauge ground to the chassis. Part of the "big 3" upgrade.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 0c55639d

I found a spot that I think will work as a grounding point. It's directly to the right of the gas pedal and has a plastic thing that clips on it to make it pretty. So I sanded off all of the paint and used a star washer.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build Af446c58

Here's the board I mentioned earlier. The mounting points for all the distribution blocks.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 4448b8ee

You can see here how it's hidden underneath the center console.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 64e0e8da

There's the cup holders that hide it.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 925e215e

I wanted to show you guys how the box fits into the center console. If it weren't for the center console and seats from an extended can truck, I would have never been able to fit the IDMAX.

Justin's 2000 Silverado Build 2d66d95e

Next up, I need to figure out an amp rack. I need to put the seats back in to take measurements. I was planning on mounting to the sub box, but I think I can squeeze them in at the base of the seats.

I'm waiting on 10 gauge wire to show up for the PQ10s. Hopefully on my weekend I might get the amp mounts designed.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I hope i get to hear this at some point! I love ID subs and have never had a chance to sit in a car that was as sound proofed as this looks like it is going to be. Keep it up!
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm

I've got no problem letting people hear it. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed. lol.

This is why I want to listen to others setups. I've never been to any competitions for spl or sq. I'll set this up for what I think sounds good, but I might be way off.
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Haha it doesnt matter what other people think as long as it sounds good to you!

I know what you mean though, I did my entire wall build before ever hearing anything louder or better sounding than my previous setup that was maybe breaking a 140.
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by splcb7 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm

I really like your build you have put a lot of thought and time into this build and it looks great!
splcb7
splcb7

http://www.teamnwspl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iregret Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

Hey thanks guys! I'll just keep plugging along as I have time. I found out today that my signal processor won't fit under the seat like I had thought it would. So I'm going to have to figure that one out. LOL!

If you can fit amps under the seat or behind them, where exactly do you put them? Hmm...
iregret
iregret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next