NorthWestSPL

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NorthWestSPL
NorthWestSPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6th order thoughts?

5 posters

Go down

6th order thoughts? Empty 6th order thoughts?

Post by mrd6 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 am

In my near future?

6th order thoughts? 6th+order+plans+port+layout+1

Ive always wanted to do a massive 6th order in my rodeo and recently this has been seeming more realistic to me as I am learning alot from my current build and I think I could pull this off.

Right now here is what I am thinking:

2 - 18s still (will use my dc xl m1s unless they cant handle the power, then its upgrade time maybe the new lvl 5 m2s when they come out?)
2 - sundown saz3500 (have one will pick up another)
-one amp per sub wired to .7 for daily and comps

in this design the rear chamber is about 12.5 cubes gross so after all displacement it will be around 11 cubes, 5.5 cubes per 18 and tuned to about 25hz with 4 4 inch areos.

Then the front chamber would be about 18 cubes net (9 per 18) tuned around 53hz with around 375 square inches of port area to start. Then an adjustable front port until i get it all tuned in right.

Anyone with 6th order knowledge, I would LOVE your opinion and assistance on this. Thanks!
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

6th order thoughts? Empty Re: 6th order thoughts?

Post by Emery.H Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 am

I know next to nothing on these boxes, but looking at the design, are those smaller circles where you plan to put mids? If so I would highly suggest against that. It's not going to be very musical and they're going to get torn apart by the subs.
Emery.H
Emery.H

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

Hey if your in facebook, ask some to to add you and talk to Justin henke. He is running a 6th in his yota with two xl m2s but i think he ran it with the xlm1s as well. That would be a good starting point and get a few pointers

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Emery: the side circles are where the aeros would be placed, yeah mids there would get trashed quick lol

Stephen: I heard his truck before but didnt know they were xls, ill definitely try to talk with him.

I'm Mitchell Dellinger on Facebook if someone wants to add me that would be awesome
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm thinking the smaller chamber is the one you want to tune higher and the larger lower. I've also been looking in to doing a 6th and that seems to be the best combo

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Oh really? Interesting, what have you been reading? I would love to check it out.

These ratios are more or less based on a system in a 4runner build ive been watching over on smd. It has 4 15s and 4 3500s and does 158s i think, and gets looooow with authority.

-Does anyone know who the admin of the facebook group is so I can try to get added?
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Every possible thing I could find, lol. I'm going to check that one out right now though

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:34 pm

mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

This is from page 5 of that build log...
(((from irpirate:

would like some input from people who know their 6th order stuff please.

back is gonna 7.5 net per side. 3 4" aeros full length will get me tuned to 26. front is around 23.5-24 cubes net. wanna get some input on front port area and tuning. planning on 30x20 tuned to 55. that seem about right? thanks!

Quote from lunchbox.inc(same page):

you 26hz rear, 52hz front tuning looks the goods man, thats what my charade is tuned to, but the ratios don't sound right to me, it's my believing that 6th orders run a larger rear chamber than front, thats how mines built, and all advice i was given said the same,

mines 2.7cf rear, 1.1cf front per woofer... so 16.2cf rear, 6.6cf front total after displacement...

however mine is series tuned, and i haven't seen whether your series or parallel tuning yours, so my advice might be worth jack... lol

but i'll definitely give the thumbs up on tuning, port area seems alright too is it's series tuned, could be a bit more, but series tuned 6th orders don't need a tonne of rear port

answer from irpirate:

hmmm, lil too late to change it now lol. mines series tuned as well. bit more port on the front or rear?

well at this point it's just hope for the best! )))

But anyway, I've seen his build before and watched plenty of vids and he does get looouuuudd!! From my understanding it is alot of trial and error with tuning and such but I was just giving my perception of it based upon what I have read. If you do decide to build a 6th I wanna be the first to hear Very Happy

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 pm

For sure man, I appreciate any input!

I am trying to get all the help I can before I jump into this. It'll probably total a grand just in wood, glue, screws, and glassing materials so I want to make sure its going to work out in the end lol.

I read that other guys log too, the one who suggested reversing the chamber sizes and he was busting windshields haha. So its good news and bad i guess. I am torn which way to go but either way it should work? scratch

Lots more research to do!
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:26 am

Lol, definitely man... I'm in the same boat right now but mine will probably take a Lil longer due to insufficient funds right now. But I'm hoping to get there

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by jj53913 Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 am

Ok since I was selected for team NWSPL I figured I better start lurking more on this site and say this post. Stoked to heat the outcome of this. I will say that if your able to adjust the Ports on the back box you have a very good start. My chambers are smaller than yours b but we all know shit changes for each vehicle. Make sure your front port is huge and use a smaller port insert because that's your access to the subs. I see a loud build hear. To forearm you the down side to a 6th order is it's hard to know that your subs are at their max or past. You can't hear the stress on them the same. I have recones a few lol. IM also not a pro at these boxes but I'll give you my input for sure.

I think if you are running 2 3500's and you make it where you can adjust tuning on both boxes you have a good start point.
jj53913
jj53913

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks for the input Justin. If you don't mind me asking, are your chambers significantly smaller or a half cube or so? I know you are running a bit more power than I will be so I am thinking slightly larger to increase efficiency. I was planning on having an adjustable front port but an adjustable rear port is obviously just as important, I'll need to work that into the design somehow.
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by mrd6 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm

New design, using 2 6 inch aeros instead of 4 4s. Then each aero will be anchored in the box so that the port length can be adjusted to change tuning. Rear port area would not be adjustable for any design using aeros.

6th order thoughts? 6th+order+plans+port+layout+4
mrd6
mrd6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down