NorthWestSPL

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NorthWestSPL
NorthWestSPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fusing question

5 posters

Go down

Fusing question Empty Fusing question

Post by Topdawg Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Let me start off by saying if this is the wrong section please feel free to move...

So I am getting ready to start my install in the next week or two. I have almost every thing ready to be put in. I have my wire on the way ( Thanks Ryan!). I will be running a pair of AP1500's and they each have a pair of Tool Maker dual 1/0 inputs.

My question is since I will have two runs of 1/0 per + and - what size fuses should I go with? And if I went with (as an example) 150 amp fuse would I split that up, 2 75 amp fuses or 150 per run?

I will have two batts, two fused distro, and one run from each batt going to each amp.... Hope that makes sense
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Fusing question Empty Re: Fusing question

Post by stephen_og Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Topdawg wrote:Let me start off by saying if this is the wrong section please feel free to move...

So I am getting ready to start my install in the next week or two. I have almost every thing ready to be put in. I have my wire on the way ( Thanks Ryan!). I will be running a pair of AP1500's and they each have a pair of Tool Maker dual 1/0 inputs.

My question is since I will have two runs of 1/0 per + and - what size fuses should I go with? And if I went with (as an example) 150 amp fuse would I split that up, 2 75 amp fuses or 150 per run?

I will have two batts, two fused distro, and one run from each batt going to each amp.... Hope that makes sense

Well how big are your runs going to your + imput on the amp?

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 pm

stephen_og wrote:
Topdawg wrote:Let me start off by saying if this is the wrong section please feel free to move...

Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:12 am

When I run fuses inline I do it for the wire. Put in fuses that will blow before amperage reaches the rating of your wire. Not sure what shok is rated at but 200 amp fuses are easy to get and should be good for your application. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Some also like to fuse for protecting the amp if it does not have onboard fuses. If your amp is any good it will protect and shut down for over current though. I don't fuse for my amp, just for my wire in the event of a direct short. I am using 3 runs of 2/0 with 250amp fuses inline about 18" from the batts.
RRR37
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:23 am

Topdawg wrote:
stephen_og wrote:

Well you obviously see my chomprehension when it comes to reading lol I wouldnt use any bigger than 250A fuses for your runs since your running 1/0. If I remember correctly on there website the reference series cable it rated up to 260A bit that's just going by what shoks website says about there wire.

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPh33rRaCiNg Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 am

What do those AP 1500's ask for fusing? It's gonna be less than what the 1/0 can handle so just fuse for whatever the amp asks for. And since your running dual inputs yes just split it in half.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Whats fusing??????????

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

meathead wrote:Whats fusing??????????

What variant of fuse would you have used?
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RidnClean Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 pm

no fusing is the right fusing
RidnClean
RidnClean

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:04 pm

RidnClean wrote:no fusing is the right fusing

Yeah... I looked it up before posting What a Face
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Honestly I dont use fusing and never have... My suggestion is if your trying to get into a specific class? Is to start testing... And how I would suggest doing so is start at what the amp says and drop down and keep doing so until you can not run at full tilt for 30 sec's, and then go back up until you can... and Then I would wait a day and let batts charge and then do 3 sec burbs and see how low you can go...

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 pm

meathead wrote:Honestly I dont use fusing and never have... My suggestion is if your trying to get into a specific class? Is to start testing... And how I would suggest doing so is start at what the amp says and drop down and keep doing so until you can not run at full tilt for 30 sec's, and then go back up until you can... and Then I would wait a day and let batts charge and then do 3 sec burbs and see how low you can go...

No this is mainly for a daily driver. I just didn't know where to start with fuses since I need to buy some. I didn't want to under fuse and blow them. But I was mainly looking to know if I split the fuses up or run the recommended fusing to each run. But I think that's been answered, now I just have to figure out what AP suggests since it's not on their website...
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:55 pm

I run my daily with out fusing... and I beat on it hard daily..

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPh33rRaCiNg Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Just fuse for a little bit over what the amp asks for.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:41 pm

So I can't seem to find the book that came with my amp and the website doesn't seem to help much. But my next question is since the amp comes with a 4 gauge input will that effect the fuse rating?
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Topdawg wrote:So I can't seem to find the book that came with my amp and the website doesn't seem to help much. But my next question is since the amp comes with a 4 gauge input will that effect the fuse rating?
If you want to fuse for the amps rating.....use ohms law. P/E=I
If its a 1500 watt amp then 1500 watts/12 volts = 125 amps
RRR37
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:46 pm

RRR37 wrote:
Topdawg wrote:So I can't seem to find the book that came with my amp and the website doesn't seem to help much. But my next question is since the amp comes with a 4 gauge input will that effect the fuse rating?
If you want to fuse for the amps rating.....use ohms law. P/E=I
If its a 1500 watt amp then 1500 watts/12 volts = 125 amps

So using ohm's law I would have to have a fuse that varried with voltage drop or gain? Very Happy

Oh the real, I said F it and called audiopipe and asked what they suggest and they told me 100 amp fuse.... So should I run two 50 fuses? That just doesn't sound right...
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Thats why I said 12 volts cause you would usually not be dropping below that. I would not worry too much about it. Your amp does have overcurrent protection.
RRR37
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

RRR37 wrote:Thats why I said 12 volts cause you would usually not be dropping below that. I would not worry too much about it. Your amp does have overcurrent protection.

I was just giving you crap... It was more of an inside joke! When I was in the Marines and going through my MOS school when we covered Ohm's Law we would always awnser everything with "Ohm's Law".
Topdawg
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down