NorthWestSPL

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NorthWestSPL
NorthWestSPL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Built a new box yesterday!

+3
NoPh33rRaCiNg
splcb7
whyteb0y
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Built a new box yesterday! - Page 2 Empty Re: Built a new box yesterday!

Post by cnutt420 Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 pm

So you didn't sell the g5 right? scratch If not have you checked the coils? Should read around 3.6-4 ohms depending on the dmm

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Nope, didn't sell the G5, it's still sitting on my kitchen table. I've been working a shit ton of hours so I haven't really had time to do much with it. It's dark when I get off work. Today is day 16 without a day off, blah! My brother has a meter so I'll borrow it tonight and check it tomorrow (only work 8 hours tomorrow) and report back to you what I find. I HOPE it's not toast. I have a chance to pick up a blown G5, hopefully for next to nothing. If I do that, I'd definitely need more power. My Kicker Impulse 2252 is rated at like 850 at 4 ohm mono, so, with those 2 woofers, they'd BARELY get the RMS power.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Well if it is blown they sell recone kits on crutchfield if you feel up to the task of reconing, or you can have someone recone for you. But if it's not blown you might wanna just look at a better amp

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

I found recone kits on eBay for like 90 bucks shipped. The amp works fine for my JL 12. I can rail the piss out of it and it doesn't even flinch. I'm thinking something is up with the G5, but I'll check it out and see what the deal is.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 pm

FML!! The woofer is toast. The coils checked out at 3.7 ohm. Looks like I'm buying a recone kit, ASAP!

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm

What the ohms for the coils? Single 4? D2,d4?

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 pm

It's a D4 12. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I need a new recone kit. I'd like to see what's up with the other G5 my brother keeps talking about. If he or I can get it cheap, I'll buy 2 recone kits.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 am

If both coils are reading a 3.7 then the coils are fine. It's not going to read exactly 4 ohms

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Check your dmm and touch them together. Sometimes those dmm's are off by a lil bit

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm just puzzled as to why it blew the fuses on my amp and not the single 15 amp fuse on the woofer its self? I'm going to find some long Allen wrenches and tear this woofer apart here shortly, I HOPE I don't find anything wrong with it. I'd really like to use it. The thing is flawless.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Found the problem. Took the woofer apart and the outside coil was black, which sucks. The rest of the woofer is in great shape. Oh well. Time for a recone.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Not trying to sound like a dick but how come you were only using one coil on a d4 woofer to your amp?

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 pm

The amp I have isn't 2 ohm stable. It was shutting that Sony amp off when my buddy had it, I figured it was because he was running it at too low of an ohm load, it was wired at 8 ohm then.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 am

Running too high of an ohm load won't hurt the amp or make it shut off. You can run it at 16 ohms and it won't affect it. A sub won't run at a consistent 4 or 8 ohms, while it is playing the ohms fluctuate. If you hook a dmm to your sub and push the cone in with your hand you will see that your ohm load will change... And I hate to say it but you probably blew your sub if you were only running on one coil. They can only last for so long playing like that

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:20 pm

The guy I got the woofer had it running of the Sony Xplod amp I just sold. When it was in his car, it would cause his amp to shut off/go into protect mode. I figured it was because he was running it at too low of an ohm load for his amp. I ended up with the woofer, took it out of the box and noticed it was wired at 8 ohm. I found it weird that at 8 ohm it was shutting his amp off. I wired it for 4 ohm (using 1 coil since my amp isn't 2 ohm stable) and had it hooked up for MAYBE 5 minutes, listened to it for a total of MAYBE 30 seconds when it blew the fuses on my amp. Checked the coils with the DMM, they spec'd out fine, both at 3.7 ohm. I tore the woofer apart yesterday and found the outer coil was black, the copper wire inside the coil was still a shiny copper color.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by cnutt420 Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh, ok... So then the woofer wasn't blown then if the coils were reading 3.7, but it sounds like it's still due for a recone. The amp sounds like the culprit to me. Also, 8 ohms wouldn't be too low of an ohm load it would be too high. 2 or 1 ohm would be too low

cnutt420

Back to top Go down

Post by whyteb0y Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

That's what I thought. He told me that woofer kept shutting his amp off. I told him to take the woofer out of the box and see what it was wired at, which he didn't do. When I saw it was wired for 8 ohm and causing his amp to shut off, I figured it was the woofer. I'll try to get a pic of the coils and show ya. The outer coil is dark as hell and the inside one looks good. But yeah, as soon as this girl buys my JL 12, I'm ordering a recone kit for it and HOPEFULLY get it back up and running.

whyteb0y

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2