NorthWestSPL

My SAZ-3000d repair

Go down

My SAZ-3000d repair

Post by RRR37 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 pm

So, I have been looking into learning to repair amps for a while now. I recently shook the sh!t out of my SAZ-3000d and put it into perma protect, which caused me to try harder on learning to repair. I'm not done learning repair by far, but felt that I had enough knowledge to attempt a repair on my 3000d. It had a shorted output transistor, broken solder joints on a couple other transistors, and a broken lead on the thermal protection sensor. I fixed these things that I found, put it all back together.......bam, amp is up and working again. The money I saved on this repair makes the time spent studying all worth it. Just wanted to share my little victory.
Here are a few pics of the amp during and after repair.

No more Protect!!!
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Re: My SAZ-3000d repair

Post by NoPh33rRaCiNg on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Awesome, great job. Board's always look so complicated.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Back to top Go down

Post by splcb7 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Nice job! If i dont get my amp fixed soon i might be looking to do the same lol...
splcb7

http://www.teamnwspl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:34 pm

NoPh33rRaCiNg wrote:Awesome, great job. Board's always look so complicated.
Thanks. Yeah, a big amp can be intimidating but it's all just components in a circuit. It gets easier when you break it down in sections and follow the circuit. Most repairs are common problems too so you kinda run down a list of those until you find out what's wrong, checking things along the way. You must have some electronic experience working for comcast, at least some general training, I'm sure you could do it just as easy if you tried.

splcb7 wrote:Nice job! If i dont get my amp fixed soon i might be looking to do the same lol...
Thanks man. What is going on with your amp? Do you know what the problem is?

RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by Zooook on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 pm

That's badass

I don't have much space in my trunk and may have to mount a amp on my box, if I shook something loose would you be confident to be able to repair it?
Zooook

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 am

Zooook wrote:That's badass

I don't have much space in my trunk and may have to mount it on my box, if I shook something loose would you be confident to be able to repair it?
Like I said, I still have a lot to learn, and want to be solid before I declare myself an amp repair guy. I have about 5 amps to work on in my garage and will be buying and repairing over time to get good at it. Might feel pretty confident this time next year.

I would feel comfortable looking it over for common problems and would be able to repair them . Most common being shorted transistors and or broken connections from the vibration.
I had no issues mounting to my 4-SA 15 box, but that f'er was solid as hell with 2.5 gallons of resin and 2 layers of matte, so there was no flex at all. I think if you have a nice solid amp and a super solid box you can get away with it, but you might pay for it in the long run.
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by splcb7 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:40 am

I have no clue....im not getting any sound out of it....it powers on and everything theres just no voltge coming out the termanals.... Sad
splcb7

Back to top Go down

Post by Zooook on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:04 am

splcb7 wrote:I have no clue....im not getting any sound out of it....it powers on and everything theres just no voltge coming out the termanals.... Sad

That's a real common thing to happen with those amps. My friend's power light came on but the sub wouldn't go boom boom...not the best amps, that really sucks man. Look at this as a time to upgrade.
Zooook

Back to top Go down

Post by RRR37 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

splcb7 wrote:I have no clue....im not getting any sound out of it....it powers on and everything theres just no voltge coming out the termanals.... Sad
Did anything happen that you know of, smoke, noise, or did it just stop working? Sounds like a broken connection causing the output side to see no voltage. Could be a lot of things. I had a Hifonics 1600 that would come on with no protect but would not put out sound. I busted it open to see if anything was burnt and noticed a broken connection on one little resistor. Soldered it up and the amp worked just fine. Not saying that is the case here but what I am saying is that it could be a simple fix. Has anyone opened it up and looked at it? Anyone do a continuity check on the transistors?
RRR37

Back to top Go down

Post by splcb7 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:20 pm

I havent yet i didnt want to void the warrnty on it if i dont hear back from them soon im opening it up......i need to get this thing fixed one way or a other i wanna sell it and get something else. I have an few other amps in mind i wanna try out.....
splcb7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum