NorthWestSPL

Aftermarket HO Alternators

Go down

Aftermarket HO Alternators

Post by MPV TT on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm

In order to consider the PeeVee a race car, I needed to remove the A/C. As a result I have a big void that would be a great location for a second alternator. The only requirement is that it needs to be a 4 rib pulley, which I have access to, other than that, there is no bracket I can't make.

SO, for those running aftermarket alternators, did you completely replace your OEM one, or are you using your OEM and using another one (or multiples) to supplement.

Any local recommendations?

Also, when you guys do dB Dragging, is your car running, are you revving to reach max amps?

MPV TT

http://www.dswens.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Aftermarket HO Alternators

Post by splcb7 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:19 pm

I run just one aftermarket alt though I had to mod the stock bracket for it to fit. It really depends on how much power you need. There's alts that run 400 amps also the other part is if you add multiple alts it puts you in different classes also. So I'd study before making a big jump to multi alts. I'm shure some of the other guys will give you a better idea of what's involved. I've yet to do multi alts I just did one big one.....

I Rev to 1400rpms but I haven't ran DB drag yet....

2 rd d5's
1 kenetic 3800 1 no name batt
12 Maxwell supercapacitors scratch
Powerbasterds 230 alt.
2 HDC4 15's
3ish cube box with 2 6" areo ports

WA state Rep
B2audio
lanzer
Pyle
brand-x

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and my love for car audio, I told that Bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. Smile
splcb7

http://www.teamnwspl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Like spl said above, most people completely replace the OEM and get a H/O alt thats specific to there car.. Theres multiple companys that make them.. Mechman, DC power, Singer Alternators, Ohio Generators inc, Excessive Amperage, etc. the list would go on.. Mosty people go with mechman, DC and singer ( well that ive seen) cause they do work and they get the job done.. IMO i would get the biggest HO alt, amp wise, that you can put in your car ( well on your motor) that a company makes..

Just a heads up, DC power and mechman price gets up there, over 500+ with shipping with the quotes ive been given and have seen on the forums, but those two brands are the best in the business.. Singer alternators beat them in price, 375 shipped lifetime warrenty for a 230A alt..

hope this helps

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by MPV TT on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for those recommendations.

Is there a rule of thumb as far as proper alt amperage to total fuse amperage on the amps?
MPV TT

http://www.dswens.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen_og on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:04 pm

well ive heard to double fuse if your alt is over 150A but you should always have a fuse thats higher than your max output on the alt. Like for my alt im gonna run to charge wires with a 250A fuse on each of them. I was told that by mike so im gonna take his word.

stephen_og

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPh33rRaCiNg on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 pm

You fuse for what the wire can handle. Get the largest alt possible, you don't have to figure anything into what size alt you get. It's the amp that will be putting the load on it. Your not going to over charge anything unless the regulator on the alt goes to shit and is charging your 12v batts way higher than ~14.8-15

2002 Tahoe - (1) 15'' XLm1 - Shok II - Shok 1/0
2003 S10 - (3) 15'' XLm1's - (2) Shok 5k's - 12 Runs Shok 1/0 - Dual Alt's

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Look at Ohio Gen, they offer by far the best warrenty on the market.. I personally would SHIT on mechmans front door step...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down